Larchmont Medical Imaging can conduct a fast, simple, and painlessexam called bone densitometry(DEXA) to measure bone density and test for osteoporosis. Bone density screenings are recommended for:
- All women age 65 and over
- Postmenopausal women younger than 65, if they have multiple risk factors for osteoporosis.
- Women at menopause, to factor the bone density measure into a decision about whether hormone-replacement therapy is advisable
- Patients who have taken medications for a long period of time that increase osteoporosis risk
- Patients diagnosed with an overactive parathyroid gland